Knowing that Student Reflection and Ownership would be one of our foci as we implemented Personalized Learning, we felt it important for us as a faculty to consider how we focus on helping students take more ownership of their learning. With a rubric like this and definitions of the expectations, we could move our students in this direction. This rubric also captures the 12 professional skills P-TECH has identified as most important for readying students for the workforce.
As a school, we use this rubric to help focus our conversations with students. This has led to great discussions with students (and their parents) as well as provide more insight into how students approach goal setting and holding themselves more responsible for their learning and progress, plus reflection. Teachers use this weekly and some use it as part of their station rotations and direct conferencing with students.
Student Engagement Rubric: (download the rubric)
- This rubric consists of the following categories:
- Focus on Project and/or Classwork
- Contributions in Classes or Working with Others
- Time-Management (During Group Projects and/or Class Activities)
- Academic Honesty
- The weight of the rubric for each course is 20% per marking period.
- How do we help students improve the skills of ownership in self-assessment?
- By consistently using this rubric both in practice and with students.
- Frequent conferencing with students when they are engaged in their work.