Frequently Asked Questions
Below are frequently asked questions and answers (FAQ). We provide these as a help guide as you learn about our school. If you have further questions or need help please contact our main office at: 315-548-6660 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Our school secretary, Linda Valley will be happy to help you.
The FAQ includes the following:
- General School Information
- Meal Program: Breakfast and Lunch
- Homeroom and Study Halls
- Absences, Illness while at school, and Early Dismissal
- Visitor Procedures
- School Closings and Notification
- Conference Days related to school calendar
- Requested completion of Health and Information Forms
- Connecting with and knowing what's going on at P-TECH
- Contacting teachers, Knowing child's grades and progress, plus Parent Portal
- Schoology: our Online Learning Platform and Parent/Guardian access
- Student Accounts plus Code of Conduct and Computer Use Policies
- Open House
- Academic Calendar: Marking Periods and Assessments
- Grades plus High School and College Credits
- Who to contact when...
- What are the main contact phone numbers?
- First day of school
- Is there Picture Day?
- What time does school start/end?
- What academic calendar does W-FLEC Tech follow?
- What time are the offices open?
- What time is the building open?
- How is transportation to W-FLEC Tech arranged for my child?
- Can I drop my child off early?
- What are the school supplies?
- Can W-FLEC Tech students participate in sports or other extra-curricular activities at their home district?
- What if my child wants to stay beyond the end of the school day?
Main Office: 315-548-6660 ---Linda Valley (email@example.com), school secretary
Principal’s Office: 315-548-6660 ---Emory Roethel (firstname.lastname@example.org), school principal
Counselor: 315-548-6668 ---Jackie Riley (email@example.com), school counselor
Nurse: 315-548-6620 ---Ruth Engel (firstname.lastname@example.org), school nurse
Students will be provided a school issued Notebook Computer to use on a daily basis and take home nightly. The majority of student work is done on computers. If you would like to purchase some supplies, start with a 3-ring binder, some folders, notebook or paper, and pens and pencils. Scientific and graphing calculators are supplied by the school so there is no need to purchase one of these. Students will also need a pair of headphones or earbuds. These can be simple, inexpensive ones that plug directly into their computer. Students do not need expensive brands ones like: BEATS, BOSE, Monster, etc. Students are responsible for managing and keeping track of their own headphones. W-FLEC Tech will have extra headphones available for student use.
- How does my child receive food service (breakfast and lunch)?
- How much does school breakfast cost?
- How much does school lunch cost?
- Is there an online pre-payment service for my child’s food service account?
- How do I apply for Free and Reduced lunch services for my child?
- What time is breakfast?
- What time is lunch?
- Where does my child eat lunch?
Yes. To help with payment, the Midlakes district provides myschoolbucks.com, a convenient, easy and secure service to deposit money into your child’s meal account at any time. You can learn more about this system and sign up for an account by going to our website and clicking on the “Midlakes Food Service” quick link, follow their directions to create an account.
Students are able to purchase breakfast when they arrive at school. We ask that they go directly to the café to purchase their breakfast when they arrive. Students then bring their breakfast to the large group room in the W-FLEC Tech portion of the school. We expect students to be in the large group room by 8:10 AM for the daily Morning Message.
- Is there a separate homeroom?
- Can students go to the cafeteria instead of study hall?
- Can students sign out of a study hall?
- What if my child is sick and cannot come to school?
- What if I forget to call in for my child when he/she is sick?
- What needs to be submitted once my child returns from an absence?
- What do I need to do when my child was absent?
- Who will contact me if my child is sick at school?
- Where do I pick my child up if he/she is sick?
- Why is it important to contact the school when picking up my child early or at dismissal time?
- Who do I contact to notify that I am picking up my child for an early dismissal?
- Where do I pick up my child for an early dismissal?
- Who do I contact to notify that I am picking up my child at the end of the school day (2:00pm)?
- Where should I drop off/pick up my student before/after school?
- Is there handicapped access into the building?
- What is the visitor sign in process?
- What is required to sign in?
- What do I receive once I sign in?
- Where do I go before exiting the building?
- How will I know if school is cancelled because of inclement weather or other reasons?
- What websites and news stations can I check to see if school is cancelled?
- Will I be notified directly if W-FLEC Tech is closed?
- What happens if my child’s home district is closed because of inclement weather or other reasons?
- What happens if W-FLEC Tech is closed because of inclement weather or other reasons, but my child’s home district is open?
- What happens if school is delayed?
- What happens if my child’s home district is delayed?
- What happens if there is an emergency closing after the school day has started?
- Who do I contact if there is an emergency closing?
If your child’s district is closed due to inclement weather or other reasons, then we do not expect your child at school. Since the district is unable to transport, we do not expect the parent(s) to transport and the student(s) is/are not penalized with an absence. We will work with each student to help them make up the missed school day when they return.
Our school is assigned to a host district school, Phelps-Clifton Springs (Midlakes). The superintendent of Midlakes will determine if the district will be delayed. Once that decision is made, the principal of W-FLEC Tech is notified and proceeds with the notification process. We will use the same process and systems to notify families if school is delayed.
If your child’s district is delayed due to inclement weather or other reasons, then we do not expect your child at school until the district is able to transport students. Since the district is unable to transport until a later time, we do not expect the parent(s) to transport and the student(s) is/are not penalized with an absence. We will work with each student to help them make up the missed amount of time when they return.
- What happens when your child’s home school district does not have school or has a half-day that is not part of the W-FL BOCES calendar?
- What happens when W-FLEC Tech (BOCES) has a full-day conference day or a half-day conference day?
Our school follows the BOCES calendar. If a district does not have school on a specific day (i.e. conference day, half-day or other event) and W-FLEC Tech does have school, we contact and ask that the district consider to still transport W-FLEC Tech student(s). If the district is unable to transport, we do not expect the parent(s) to transport and the student(s) is/are not penalized with an absence. We will work with each student to help them make up a missed school day when they return.
Students do not report to school when W-FLEC Tech has a full-day conference day, this is a non-attendance day for students. They also will not report to their home-district school. If W-FLEC Tech has a half-day, students report to W-FLEC Tech and are dismissed early; notification and arrangements are made with each school district.
We will need the same forms that are turned in at your child’s district. Our school nurse is off during the summer, but she contacts each district and requests the specific forms she needs, this would include up to date health forms. Additional forms requiring completion will be mailed in the August packet. These will include: Authorization for Exchange of Information, Health Office Information, Health Care Update and more.
Throughout the school year, we use our website and Facebook as our main communication outlets. At times we may also use email, mailings and phone calls.
- Website: www.wflptech.org
- Facebook: w-fl pathways in technology early college high school
- How/when can I contact my student’s teachers?
- Where do I go if my child is struggling in a course?
- What if I do not get “satisfaction” by contacting a teacher?
- How do I know what my child is doing in class?
- What other ways can I know about my child’s progress?
- Do students also receive a Portal account?
- What is Parent Portal?
- Who can access the Parent Portal?
- How do I get a Parent Portal login account?
In all matters pertaining to your child’s progress in a class, the first step is for your child to communicate with the teacher directly. If more information is necessary, you may contact your child’s teachers during a normal school day by emailing them. You can locate the teacher’s email address on our website. You may also call the main office. We can also set up an appointment for you to meet with the teacher and other faculty.
We highly encourage parents/guardians to participate in their child’s education. Engaging your child in meaningful discussions surrounding class work is always the preferred method of being kept up to date. One way is to use the Parent Portal. Parents and guardians who are connected to the student in our student management system will receive a Parent Portal account for SchoolTool. SchoolTool provides parents progress and marking period reports as well as attendance. For daily and weekly progress, parents and guardians are encouraged to use Schoology.
We also use Schoology, online programs and websites. Parents will also receive information on how to acquire a Schoology account. Teachers will primarily use Schoology to assign content, materials and resources as well as communicate progress. Schoology is your daily and weekly online tool to use when checking your child's progress.
The Parent Portal is an online tool designed to enhance the communication and involvement of parents in their child's education. The Parent Portal provides you with 24/7 access to your child’s information. No longer will you have to wait for the mail to arrive to receive information about your child's education.
Parent Portal access rights and accounts are based on permissions from the school’s student management system. Only parents and custodial guardians may have a Portal account. Data must be entered the way is appears on your child’s records. Information submitted must be verified and accepted to receive access and an account. Confirmation of an accepted account is notified by email.
- What is Schoology?
- Who can access Schoology?
- Where can I go to learn more about Parent Portal and Schoology?
Schoology is a learning management system for K-12 schools that allows users to create, manage, and share content and resources. This is our main platform for students to access assignments, content, materials and resources. Students will also use Schoology as the main place to submit assignments.
- Do students receive internet and email accounts?
- What other accounts are students provided?
- What policies do students follow in regards to computer, network, Internet and email use?
- What code of conduct do W-FLEC Tech students follow?
- Where can I access the full Code of Conduct?
All students of W-FLEC Tech will need to review and follow the Wayne-Finger Lakes BOCES Student Code of Conduct. The Wayne-Finger Lakes BOCES (BOCES) is committed to providing a safe and orderly school environment where students may receive, and personnel may deliver, quality education services without disruption or interference. Responsible behavior by students, teachers, other BOCES personnel, parents, and other visitors is essential to achieving this goal.
- When are the marking Periods?
- When are Regents weeks (January and June)?
- Will students have midterms?
- Do students attend regular classes during January regents week or do they only attend if they have an exam?
- When do we get Progress Reports and Grades? How are they distributed?
Five-week progress reports will be available on the parent portal following the schedule listed below:
- 5 week report – October
- 15 week report – December
- 25 week report – February/March
- 35 week report – May
Report cards or quarterly reports will be available on the parent portal and mailed home following the schedule listed below:
- 1st quarter report card – November
- 2nd quarter report card – January
- 3rd quarter report card – March/April
- 4th quarter report cards – June/July
- How are grades calculated for Report Cards?
- Are grades weighted?
- How are college courses counted towards high school credit?
- Who should I talk to if I think my student is using alcohol or drugs?
- Who can I contact if I have concerns/questions/compliments about the school?