Program Goal: Cosmetology is an exciting career that requires a wide range of skills. Artistic ability, as well as technical and communication skills are critical to success. The Cosmetology program teaches students the competencies and professional skills necessary to pass the New York State Board practical and written licensing exams.
Curriculum: Students attend the program for two years. A clinic open to members of the local community provides students with real life experience in their field. Only licensed cosmetologists may work in salons in New York State. To sit for the licensing exam, students must complete a minimum of 1,000 hours of approved instruction.
*To obtain the 1000 hours required by NYS students must have excellent attendance and are encouraged to attend a summer session
Curriculum Areas/Units of Study:
- Properties of the Hair and Scalp
- Shampooing, Rinsing, Conditioning
- Hair Cutting
- Artistry in Hair Styling
- Permanent Waving
- Hair Coloring
- The Artistry of Artificial Hair
- Manicures, Pedicures, and Nails
- Skin Care, and Make up Application
- Salon Business Practices
- The median pay for Barbers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists is $24,900 a year.
- The median pay for Manicurists and Pedicurists is $23,230 a year.
- 13% growth rate for both professions (faster than average) between 2016-2026.